The Hudson Medal is awarded to the Leading Goalkicker of the Tasmanian State League and has been awarded since the league began in 2009.
History of the Hudson Medal
The award is named after champion Tasmanian footballer Peter Hudson, a prolific goalkicker who is considered one of the greatest full-forwards of all time.
Over the span of his Senior career, Hudson kicked 1874 goals, between his debut in 1963, to his final game in the 1981 TANFL Preliminary Final. If you include Night Games and Representative games, his tally increases to 2191, an average of over 7 goals per game. He was kept goalless on only 4 occasions during his entire career.
He owns records in the VFL/AFL for: Most goals kicked in a season with 150 (tied with Bob Pratt) and highest average for Goals Per Game (5.64). Has the 4th highest amount of goals kicked in a game (16.1), and is 17th all-time in career goals with 727.
His records and goalscorer expand significantly into Tasmanian Football. Hudson won the 1975 TFL Premiership as a Player/Coach for Glenorchy. He also kicked 153 goals and 179 goals in back to back seasons for Glenorchy in 1978 and 1979, winning the William Leitch Medal both seasons.
His Accolades During His VFL Career:
– 129 Games
– 727 Goals
– VFL Leading Goalkicker (1968, 1970, 1971 & 1977)
– Premiership Player (1971)
– Hawthorn Best and Fairest (1968, 1970)
– 6-Time Hawthorn Leading Goalkicker (1967-71, 1977)
– VFL All-Australian (1966, 1969)
– Australian Hall of Game Inductee (1996)
– Elevated to Legend Status (1999)
His Accolades During his Tasmanian Football Career:
– 78 Games, 378 Goals (New Norfolk)
– 81 Games, 616 Goals (Glenorchy)
– Premiership Player/Coach Glenorchy (1975)
– William Leitch Medalist (1978, 1979)
– Tasmanian Team of the Century
How The Hudson Medal is Awarded
The Hudson Medal is awarded to the player who has the Highest Goal Tally at the end of the Home and Away Season. The medal is awarded before the TSL Grand Final.
Winners of the Hudson Medal
[table id=1 /]
Winners of the TSLW Leading Goalkicker Award
[table id=2 /]
Winners of the Development League Leading Goalkicker Award
[table id=3 /]