Southern Bombers triumph in finals epic

Written by Hamish Spence.


Lauderdale have advanced to the second Semi-Final, after a classic six-point Qualifying Final win over Glenorchy at Blundstone Arena.


Glenorchy were up by 13 points during the final quarter, but Lauderdale rallied to leave as 13.15 (93) to 12.15 (87) winners.

They reversed their form slump heading into the finals and now play North Launceston for a spot in the Grand Final.


Glenorchy lost no fans after their performance, recovering a 20-point half-time deficit to lead by one-point at three quarter time.

The Magpies now host Launceston in the first Semi-Final, with the winner advancing to the Preliminary Final, while the loser is eliminated.


The game started with both teams feeling each other out in the high intensity cauldron of finals footy.

Ryan Banks-Smith eventually got the first score on the board with a goal 12 minutes into the first.

Lauderdale soon got going with two quick goals though Jacob Gillbee and Sam Burge.

Clinton French converted his first after some good end to end footy from the Pies, leaving it all tied up at quarter time.


Nat Franklin had a quick start to the second, after finding some space and making no mistake.

Jaye Bowden got himself into the game with two goals in the space of a couple of minutes.

Lauderdale started to get on top, but did not immediately take advantage. Nic Baker eventually gave them some reward for effort, after converting from 40m out.

The Southern Bombers really started to roll and piled on three more goals in the latter half of the term, from Alexander Saunders, captain Bryce Walsh and Matt McGuiness, giving them a 20-point lead at half-time.


Bryce Walsh had a big impact for the Southern Bombers. IC: Solstice Digital


Glenorchy came out firing in the third, with Jaye Bowden and Clinton French both adding to their tallies in the opening stages of the term.

Sam Burge just marked in play and quickly spun around for his second, arresting some of the Pies momentum.

Both teams had opportunities on goal, before Jaye Bowden got his fourth and Clinton French dribbled through his third, bringing the margin back to one-point.

Aiden Grace found some space and got his first, giving Glenorchy the lead.

Alexander Saunders got a free on the siren and kicked a much-needed steadier for Lauderdale, leaving Glenorchy as one-point leaders at the final break.


Glenorchy got the hot start, after Aiden Grace was hit lace out with the first clearance, and Ben Kamaric kicked a running banana from the right pocket.

Haydn Smith got an easy goal from the goal square, after a costly turnover from the Magpies.

Nic Baker had a good finish from 45m out, to make it just one-point the difference.

Lauderdale started to get on top with repeat inside 50 entries, before Alex Hill put them in front.

Jacob Gillbee got a free for kicking in danger and kicked his second, extending the lead.

Time started to run out for Glenorchy, but Ben Kamaric showed composure and kicked a great running goal, to make it just four points the difference.

Lauderdale locked the ball inside their forward half and hung on for a famous six-point victory.


Sam Burge was dangerous all game for Lauderdale with his pressure and attack around the ball, he also snapped two important goals.

Bryce Walsh led from the front on return, he played many different roles for his side and launched a big goal from 50m out.

Edward Trupp negated Aiden Grace’s influence for most of the match and won most of their one-on-one contests.


Jaye Bowden reminded everything of his brilliance on return for Glenorchy, booting four goals for the match.

Callen Daly gave a strong four quarter performance and dug deep when the game was getting away at certain stages.

Cameron Duffy competed well in his 100th game against tough opposition in the ruck.


Lauderdale coach Darren Winter said Alexander Saunder’s goal on three quarter time was important heading into the last.

“It was a really good moment for us to get that up and about feeling going into the last quarter, and they were probably on top of us at the stage, so to just claw one back was really important for us.”


He said belief had been strong at the club, despite losing four of their last five game heading into Saturday’s match.

“The belief that they had in each other and I suppose the moral around the club was really high, so there was never anybody walking around the club with their heads down.”

He looked forward to facing North Launceston next week.

“We’ll go up there and we certainly won’t back away from the challenge, we enjoy the challenge.”


Glenorchy coach Paul Kennedy said the period where Lauderdale got on top in the second was the difference.

“Probably in the end that was the difference, in that they were able to get those couple of late goals in the second and get out to that 20-point lead.”


He was proud with how they responded and adjusted after half-time.

“Our second half was really good, we had our opportunities to close it out, we didn’t, but I was incredibly proud of the guys. There was a lot going against them today, and everyone could see that, but they just stuck at it and stuck at it.”


He said his midfield would need to play well again against Launceston next week.

“Launceston are a good team with a good midfield and those boys are going to have to play really well.”


Lauderdale: 2.2, 7.6, 9.9, 13.15 (93)

Glenorchy: 2.2, 4.4, 9.10, 12.15 (87)



Lauderdale: S. Burge (2), A. Saunders (2), J. Gillbee (2), N. Baker (2), N. Franklin, B. Walsh, M. McGuinness, H. Smith, A. Hill

Glenorchy: J. Bowden (4), C. French (3), A. Grace (2), B. Kamaric (2), R. Banks-Smith


Lauderdale: S. Burge, J. Gillbee, N. Baker, B. Walsh, E. Trupp, S. Siggins

Glenorchy: Z. Webster, J. Bowden, B. Kamaric, L. Smith, C. Duffy, C. Daly


Up Next:

Lauderdale head up to Windsor Park to play North Launceston in the second Semi-Final at 2:00pm next Sunday, for a spot in the Grand Final.

Glenorchy have a second chance in the sudden death first Semi-Final against Launceston at 2:30pm next Saturday at KGV Oval.