Spirited ‘Pies fight back to overcome plucky ‘Roos

Glenorchy has recovered from a 21-point half-time deficit to record a 15-point win over arch rival Clarence and clinch the Bingley-Linton Cup, Hamish Spence writes. 


The ‘Pies surged home in the second half and started to convert their opportunities late in the third and in the fourth quarter, kicking six of the last seven goals of the game. It was a hard-fought win for the ‘Pies, with the late out of Jaye Bowden adding another blow to their already depleted line-up.

Clarence were great in the first half and led at all stages heading into the last, but could not hold onto their lead against the more experienced ‘Pies.


The first quarter was quickly kicked off by a class finish from Clarence coach Jeromey Webberley, who converted a great set shot from a tight angle.

Ben Kamaric got the first for the visitors with a quick spin and snap on goal.

The ‘Roos showed that they had their kicking boots on, when Chris Nield (two) and Jarrod Harper kicked three of the next four goals from tough set shots. Aiden Grace bobbed up for the ‘Pies in-between, with a nice finish for his first.

Keegan Wylie rolled one through from the goal square, to extend the ‘Roos lead to 16 points at quarter time.


‘Pies defender Harrison Gunther made an immediate impact up forward, getting a foot to the ball while being tackled for the first of the second term.

Jeromey Webberley responded by working his opponent under the ball for a great mark and slotted his second.

Harrison Gunther got his second as well, after a brilliant pick-up at ground level and snap in front of goal.

Jeromey Webberley continued his hot streak with the next two goals, one a big kick on 50 and the other a crumb and snap on goal.

He brought his tally up to four goals and gave his team a 21-point lead at half-time.




Glenorchy got exactly the start they wanted to the third, with an Adam Roberts goal in the opening minutes.

There was then a lull in goals, with Glenorchy wasting their opportunities and failing to capitalise on their momentum.

Jacob Smith eventually took a great contested mark for the ‘Roos and kicked a banana to extend the lead to 18 points.

The ‘Pies were wasteful again in front of goal, but eventually found the big sticks through Aiden Grace, who took a huge grab and converted for his second.

Ben Kamaric also got his second, after Clarence captain Brady Jones gave away a 50m penalty, reducing the margin to just seven points at the final break.


Glenorchy continued their ascendancy at the start of the last, when Sam Reeves rolled a goal through to reduce the margin to just one-point.

The ‘Pies took the lead for the first time since early in the first term with a couple of behinds, and then Adam Roberts kicked his second to extend it to a two-kick lead.

Jeromey Webberley kicked his fifth, after some great body work in the marking contest, to light a spark for the ‘Roos. Jacob Smith quickly extinguished it though with a goal, after the ‘Pies blitzed the ball out of the middle.

Time started to run out for the ‘Roos, with no goals scored for several minutes. Jacob Smith put it beyond doubt with his second out of a pack, to give Glenorchy a 15-point win.


Clarence coach Jeromey Webberley was dynamic up forward with five goals, with three of them coming in the second quarter.

Ryan Bailey was prevalent in the ruck and gave his onballers first use.


Callen Daly was immense for the ‘Pies with his pressure and really drove their comeback in the second half.

Key defender Harrison Gunther showed that he can get it done at both ends of the ground. He covered an incredible amount of territory and kicked two goals in the second quarter.

Ben Kamaric provided important dash through the middle and finished with two goals.


Glenorchy coach Paul Kennedy said they struggled against the ‘Roos pressure in the first quarter.

“We were a little bit fumbly, they probably caught us off guard with that pressure.”




He said they improved in the second quarter and were not panicked at half-time.

“In the second quarter we sought of wrestled the game back, we were just kicking points,” he said.

“It wasn’t panic stations, there were just somethings’ we needed to adjust to stop them from being so efficient going forward.”


He was really pleased with how they handled the second half, given the young players and sore bodies in the team.

“They showed a heap of character, to be able to run over the top in the second half of that game and particularly in that last quarter. There was a lot of potential excuses that people could have had.”


He showed that the Clarence/Glenorchy rivalry was well and truly alive.

“I said to them this week; for our past players, supporters and life members, beating Clarence is really important, and we said if there’s one thing we achieve this centennial year, we beat Clarence three times.”


Clarence coach Jeromey Webberley was pleased with what his side showed in the first half.

“I thought some of our ball movement and aggression around the contest was fantastic, it showed what we can do.”


He gave credit to Glenorchy for controlling the game after half-time.

“I thought they slowed our ball movement down and made us go down the line, which is something we didn’t want to do with a smaller younger team.”

“What we need to do, from our last two weeks of games, is learn from our mistakes. If we can do that, I’m sure we’ll knock off some teams.”


Clarence: 5.2, 8.3, 9.7, 10.8, (68)

Glenorchy: 2.4, 4.6, 7.12, 11.17, (83)



Clarence: J. Webberley (5), C. Nield (2), J. Harper, K. Wylie, J. Smith

Glenorchy: H. Gunther (2), A. Grace (2), B. Kamaric (2), A. Roberts (2), L. Smith (2), S. Reeves



Clarence: R. Bailey, J. Webberley, J. Holmes, K. Howlett, J. Preshaw, J. Smith

Glenorchy: R. Mott, C. Daly, B. Kamaric, H. Gunther, A. Grace, Z. Webster


Up Next:

Clarence host ladder leaders Lauderdale next Saturday at 2:00pm at Blundstone Arena.

Glenorchy have the bye and then host the Tigers on Saturday the 10th of August at 2:00pm at KGV Oval.