Demons out-scrap toothless Tigers

Written by Richard Bannon

The Hobart City Demons have recorded their largest win of the season, defeating the Tigers by 54 points in what was a scrappy contest at North Hobart Oval.

On a glorious winter’s afternoon, the Demons held the Tigers goalless throughout the middle quarters on their way to an 11.12-78 to 3.6-24 victory.

Having succumbed to the Tigers in their previous encounter on Good Friday in round 3, the Demons were out to seek redemption in what was a must-win game for both sides.

Hobart City were gifted the perfect start to the match when Tigers backman Mitch Carter gave away a 50 metre penalty to take Demon Sam Caswell to the top of the square, who made no mistake.

Tigers skipper Tim Peterson, who was back in the senior fold following a brief stint in the Mercury Cup, opened the Tiger’s account with a quick snap over his shoulder, to give the Tigers a 1.3-9 to 1.0-6 advantage at the first change.

However, Peterson’s goal would remain the Tiger’s only major until the start of the final term.

It was throughout this period that the Demons gradually edged their way in front of the Tigers. Michael Bidgood’s set shot put Hobart City ahead, which was soon followed by a swift crumbing goal by star Demon Ryan Matthews.

Josh Williamson then unloaded an absolute monster from beyond 50 off a step to give Hobart City a 4.3-27 to 1.4-10 lead at half time.

With the Tigers needing the first major of the second half to get them up and running, the match plummeted into an absolute scrap.

Neither side were able to gain a clean delivery into their respective forward 50’s, as the pressure went up another level on the tight confines of North Hobart Oval.

Demon’s forward Sean Willis broke the stalemate with a crafty snap, which was proceeded by Jesse Maple kicking truly, giving the home side a 6.5-41 to 1.5-11 advantage at the final change.

Tigers midfielder Lachlan Clifford finally ended the goal scoring drought for his side early in the last term, kicking their first goal since the halfway mark of the first quarter.

Any joy which the Tigers gained out of this goal was short lived, as the Demons piled on five final quarter goals, including two more to Josh Williamson, who finished with a match-high three majors.

In scoring 11 majors for the game, the Demons spread the load with eight separate goal kickers, something Hobart City assistant coach Richard Robinson was very happy with.

“As a forward group, we’re not the type of group that’s going to have people bags of six or seven.

“We want to become a side that has an even spread of contributors, so that one week, one bloke will pop up so the opposition can lock down on them, then the week after we will have another contributor. So that’s a good attribute our forward line has.”

Tigers senior coach Aaron Vince was forced to lament constant sloppy disposal and “putrid” forward entry into his side’s attacking 50.

“All over the ground, I don’t think that we won a position today.

“We’ve got some soul searching, and we’ve got some things that we need to address.

“I feel a bit let down by the group today.”

The chances of a Tigers victory was not aided by the late withdrawal of gun midfielder Marcus Davies, who failed to recover from a calf injury sustained against Clarence last week.

Round 12 – 24/06/2017

Hobart City Demons                      1.0,  4.3,  6.5,  11.12  (78)

Tigers                                  1.3,  1.4,  1.5,  3.6  (24)

GOALS, Hobart City Demons :
J. Williamson 3, S. Caswell 2, J. Maple 1, R. Matthews 1, M. Bidgood 1, J. Charlton 1,
C. Dell 1, S. Willis 1

Tigers :
L. Clifford 1, B. Batchelor 1, T. Peterson 1

BEST, Hobart City Demons :
C. White, H. Williams, J. Maple, B. Norton, S. Caswell, J. Williamson

Tigers :
M. Carter, L. Gadomski, W. Cleeland, L. Clifford, L. Watt, C. Sawdy