Pies too hot for Tigers

Written by Alex Fitzgerald

Glenorchy remain undefeated in season 2017, accounting for the Tigers to the tune of 70 points in a physical Anzac Day encounter.

The Magpies kicked away in the second half with a couple of four goal bursts putting to bed what had been a tight contest up until the main break at KGV Oval.

The Tigers restricted the Magpies to only six goals halfway through the Anzac Day encounter, but two quick goals apiece to Jaye Bowden and Matthew Joseph inside the first eight minutes of the third term saw the lead balloon out to eight goals, and the Tigers were never in the hunt from then on, going down 5.5 (35) to Glenorchy 15.15 (105).

Jack Pearce got the scoring started in peculiar circumstances. The forward marked a pass inside 50 early in the first quarter for the Tigers, but bizarrely a wayward dog invading the field may have put him off and he missed his set shot once play had resumed.  The Magpies then struck through Tyler Bowden, who kicked two quick goals, and when James Webb slotted another major from long range it looked like the Premiers would kick away.  The Tigers were rewarded for effort when Brandon Batchelor won a high tackle free kick and converted for their first goal, but Glenorchy responded swiftly with a Brayden Webb goal late in the term to head into the first change ahead, 4.2 (26) to 1.1 (7).

The second term began with Pearce kicking truly on the run from outside 50 to give the visitors their second goal.  Glenorchy followed up with repeated counter-attacks but were unable to maximise it on the scoreboard, with the defensive efforts of the less-favoured Tigers, outstanding.  Lachy Watt undid the Tigers’ hard work and gave away a 50 metre penalty to Matthew Joseph, who duly converted, but the Tigers continued to press forward, and when Blake McCulloch marked and goaled they were within 15 points of the Pies.  Lack of discipline from Marcus Davies resulted in another 50 metre penalty, gifting Jaye Bowden his first goal in the dying seconds of the half, allowing Glenorchy to enter the main break leading 6.5 (41) to 3.2 (21).

Fresh off a heated half time address from Aaron Cornelius, Glenorchy lifted their intensity in the third stanza to slam on four quick unanswered goals through forward targets Jaye Bowden and Joseph, with the Tigers unable to slot a major for the term.  The visiting side quickly had a tall task in from of them, as they entered the final quarter down 3.5 (23) to 10.11 (71).

The final term started positively for the Tigers, with Jacob Lister goaling from a free kick two minutes in.  Jaye Bowden fired back with his fourth not long after, but when Brady Rees responded for the Tigers with a major of his own it looked like the match may finish with a high scoring quarter.  While the Tigers held their own in a series of spot fires that broke out on the grandstand wing following a number of late bumps, they were unable to stop the Magpie goals.  The home side kicked the final four of the match, and in the end were far too slick for a combative Tigers, running out 15.15 (105) to 5.5 (35) victors.

The forward line of Glenorchy was clearly the more dangerous all afternoon, with Jaye Bowden finishing with five goals and Matthew Joseph three.  Tyler Bowden was a strong target in the first quarter, booting two early majors, while Mitch Hills provided a consistent presence at half forward.  Brayden Webb and Hawthorn recruit Zac Webster provided plenty of drive from midfield, aided by another dominant display from ruckman Cameron Duffy.

Cornelius was pleased with how Glenorchy responded in the second half after the Tigers held his side early on in the match.

“They (Tigers) were fantastic in the first half, we just didn’t do the simple things well. The free kick count was 27 to 11 so they beat us to the ball.

“We really wanted a contest which is what we got, credit to Tigers they came with a lot of pressure and they put it on us and we were able to absorb that and get the result with nine goals in the second half,” Cornelius said.

He singled out the efforts of tough on-baller Mitch Rainbird, Anzac Medallist Joel Millhouse and of Jaye Bowden, who battled all day against some physical opponents.

“Mitch Rainbird had 10 clearances which was phenomenal, hes done himself no harm for state selection.

“Jaye copped a beating but managed to have 10 shots on goal, he is a class player and we are very lucky to have him at our club.”

Tigers coach Aaron Vince was happy with his side’s first half he was particularly pleased with how his defence stood up under repeat Magpie forays in the forward 50, singling out the efforts and fortitude of 50 gamer Marcus Gardner.

“I thought we competed really well in the first half. I thought our attack on the footy and our pressure on them showed that they aren’t invincible but in the second half they showed why they are a quality side.

“We were under no illusions that the job was done at half time, we just didn’t rise to the challenge enough in the second half. They found that extra leg and we struggled to.

“We are improving, we are still young but we are still improving and I think we brought more physical presence, today.”

Glenorchy will now travel to West Park to meet the winless Burnie next week in the first of three games across a fortnight, and may be tempted to rest some players for the tougher matches against Clarence and North Launceston to follow.  The Tigers have the bye, which they will utilise to regroup and prepare for what should be a difficult matchup with Lauderdale at Twin Ovals in Round 6.